Domestic Violence is an epidemic the affects individuals in every community regardless of age, economic status, sexual orientation, gender, race, religion or nationality and has consequences that can last a lifetime.
Did you know?
• In the United States, an average of 20 people are physically abused by intimate partners every minute. This equates to more than 10 million abuse victims annually.
• 1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men have been physically abused by an intimate partner.
• 1 in 5 women and 1 in 7 men have been severely physically abused by an intimate partner.
• 1 in 7 women and 1 in 18 men have been stalked. Stalking causes the target to fear she/he or someone close to her/him will be harmed or killed.
• On a typical day, domestic violence hotlines nationwide receive approximately 20,800 calls.
• The presence of a gun in a domestic violence situation increases the risk of homicide by 500%.
• Intimate partner violence accounts for 15% of all violent crime.
• Intimate partner violence is most common among women between the ages of 18-24.
• 19% of intimate partner violence involves a weapon.